Sunday, January 15, 2006

TagCloud

Look! I have a tagcloud!

I'm just having my first cup of coffee (yes, I slept in this morning) and am checking out a couple of sites from my Favorites list. One of them is complaining about Blogger being broken, so I just had to see for myself.

So what to my wondering eyes doth appear but a tagcloud! That's the odd list of words in blue and orange in the side bar. All of the words represent some level of frequency in the posts on Texas AIDS Blog. The larger and more orange the word, the more frequently it has been used.

The tagcloud is a free utility provided by TagCloud.com. I was just sure that I had installed it incorrectly or else lack something on the site (like tags, for instance). And now, exactly as advertised, it works! (Well, not exactly. I did think it would be faster. [reminding self to get some patience on the next shopping trip])

That being said, I am really surprised by the words that are showing up for frequencies. In a blog about HIV/AIDS in Texas, it's no surprise that those words show up with some frequency, but some of the others are puzzling. There are at least 10 articles that talk about concoms here, but only one shows up on the tagcloud search and that in the context of National Condom Week (well, it is my favorite awareness week). It would appear that the cloud only covers the past few days and not the whole site.

Even so, there is now a fourth option for getting access to information on Texas AIDS Blog: Blogger search button (upper left), Technorati search button (sidebar), Table of Contents (2004 and 2005), and the tagcloud. Now, if Blogger works . . .

No comments: