Generic drugs are safe, effective and FDA approved. Generic drugs account for about 50 percent of all prescription drug purchases in the United States, therefore, consumers should be well informed and confident when taking generic drug products.
To obtain printed copies of any of these materials, please email your request by title to: firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also call 301-827-1243 or 1-888-INFO-FDA.
- "You know that question that goes through your mind when you take your generic drug? Here are the answers." This brochure provides five common questions and answers (Q&As) about generic drugs.
- En Español "¿Qué son las drogas genéricas y por qué son importantes para usted? Todo lo que necesita saber sobre las drogas genéricas." This brochure provides five common questions and answers (Q&As) about generic drugs.
- "Facts about Generic Drugs." This brochure provides plain language answers to the 9 most common questions about generic drugs.
- "Generic Drugs: Questions and Answers" This provides 9 common Q&As about generic drugs.
- En Español "Frecuentes Preguntas Acerca de las Drogas Genéricas." This provides 9 common Q&As about generic drugs.
- "Generic Drugs: What Everyone Should Know" This short article describes how FDA regulates generic drugs.
- "Savings From Generic Drugs Purchased at Retail Pharmacies" This analysis looks at the potential savings of buying generic drugs instead of brand name drugs.
- "FDA-Approved Bargain Drugs: Generic Products Must Meet High Standards" This one page "Just the Facts," from December of 2003, discusses the high standards that generic drugs must meet for approval.
- "Study: U.S. Generic Drugs Cost Less Than Canadian Drugs." This FDA Consumer article from July/August 2004 discusses the results of a study that compared the cost of U.S. drugs and Canadian drugs.
- "FDA Ensures Equivalence of Generic Drugs." This FDA Consumer reprint, updated August 2002, is about the safety and efficacy of generic drug products, and includes information on cost benefits. For reprints, e-mail email@example.com, or call 301-827-1243 or 1-888-INFO-FDA.
- "Greater Access to Generic Drugs." This FDA Consumer article from Sept/Oct. 2003 describes new FDA initiatives to improve drug reviews and reduce legal loopholes. For reprints, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 301-827-1243 or 1-888-INFO-FDA.
- "Generic Drugs: What You Need to Know." This FDA Consumer article from Sept/Oct. 2002 provides information on the law that allows approval of generic products, Drug Price Competition and Patent Term Restoration Act of 1984. It also includes Q&As about generic drugs.
- "What You Want to Know About Generic Drugs: Generic Drugs: Safe. Effective. FDA-Approved." This 59-slide PowerPoint presentation is intended for consumer education.
For more information about generic drug products, visit the Office of Generic Drugs Web site .