Friday, December 30, 2005

Where are they now?

I'm looking back over the year's blog entries and finding that a number of posts referred to the initiation of various actions and programs. Out of curiosity, I've checked up on a few of them to see what happened up to now.


On February 11, I discussed a bill introduced by U. S. Senator Frank Lautenberg that would require reality-based sexuality education in public schools. Here's the bill's status:

13. S.368 : A bill to provide assistance to reduce teen pregnancy, HIV/AIDS, and other sexually transmitted diseases and to support healthy adolescent development. Sponsor: Sen Lautenberg, Frank R. [NJ] (introduced 2/10/2005) Cosponsors (7) Committees: Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions Latest Major Action: 2/10/2005 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Read twice and referred to the Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions.

On March 30, I talked about a bill introduced by U. S. Senator Gregg (S. 288) that would extend funding for programs related to state high risk insurance pools. At the time, I thought it had been reported out of committee, but I erred. It didn't get reported out of committee until July 29 with this report.

On June 3, I blogged about an issue that concerns me greatly, preying on people with HIV by trying to sell them questionable and fraudulent immune system boosters (Hinky marketing of immune boosters). I reported a web site to the FDA for doing just that and got an email from the fellow who does this sort of thing (well, his minions do), but I haven't seen any reports that say that action has been taken. This week I checked the web site that started the matter (for me) and found that it is still around, still claiming to cure everything. The FDA can move pretty slowly sometimes. I'm just sayin'.

October 18, A Few Bad Apples--The story was about Serono Labs and illegal marketing of Serostim and the settlement of the case. On December 15, the case moved to closure when a judge order Serono to pay a "criminal fine of $136.9 million and a $567 million civil fine." This very day, I checked to see whether Texas would receive any part of that settlement. Yes. $3.6 million.

Two dead bills. One pending investigation. One for the good guys. "E" for effort, I'd say.

No comments: