Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Bad for business

Clever Chris sends another news link, this time to an article about the success of HAART as bad for business. It's bad, that is, if you invested in viatical settlements in the early 90's.

I'm wavering between "no comment" and [chortle]. Not that I have anything against viatical settlements. I remember when they were a lifesaver, so to speak, for people who desperately needed the money and who had little hope of living more than a year or two longer.

I also remember the wonderful days when people began to get better, when folks who were literally on their death beds suddenly wondered "What's for dinner?" and then got up to fix it.

"No comment" would be the most discreet reaction, I'm sure, but I can't help chortling with delight that so many of the folks who made those settlements are still with us. We are all richer for that.

No comments: