Monday, October 17, 2005

Congressional Districts and Maps

Sometimes I just can't help myself. I start at one link and then find another, and before I know it, I've followed another rabbit trail. Something sent me over to Wikipedia this morning and a look at one of Texas' much gerrymandered congressional districts. That led me to the National Atlas and this list of maps for each of those congressional districts.

The National Atlas has a number of maps that make it worth a stay at that site long enough to sample a few. At the very least, you might save a copy of the map of your own congressional district. This becomes useful when you want to identify other folks who might live in your district so that you can work together to contact your congressperson or--here's a thought--visit his/her district office.

Did I mention that I was checking out a congressional district on Wikipedia? Seems they have at least as stub for each district but, in other cases, history and voting information. This list seems to be a portal to get you to all of the districts. It's worth a look, just in case your district is one of the ones that has some historical information for you. This might help you understand your congressperson and the various pressures he/she faces before applying your own.

Another source that popped up in my rabbiting around is the American Community Survey. This list is a nice portal for information about the demographics, economic, social, and housing characteristics of each congressional district (and some cities and counties as well). The information can be useful when you need some additional facts and figures to buttress your arguments to your representatives (both state and national in this case).

No comments: